2011年10月18日火曜日

DNA sequenced of woman who lived to 115

I read an article that the entire DNA sequence of a woman who lived to 115 has been pieced together by scientists.

The woman was the oldest in the world at the time of her death. She lived a long and healthy life until 105 years old without a care. A test of her mental skills at the age of 113 showed she had the performance of a woman aged 60-75 years. Moreover, she had no signs of dementia.

She donated her body to medical science. According to the results of genetic analysis, there are some rare genetic changes in her DNA. It is not yet clear what role they carry out, but it appears there is something in her genes that protects against dementia and other diseases of later life.

Scientists think that there are genes that may ensure a long life and be protective against dementia. In order to understand the mechanism of longevity, it is necessary to analyze the gene of hundreds or thousands of people. However, sequencing the genome of her is important to understand how DNA variation relates to the process of having a long, healthy life.



I think it is good news that the entire DNA sequence of her has been pieced together because the development of science is a great pleasure for human beings. If the role that some rare genetic changes in her DNA carry out have been clear, it might contribute to establish a new and more effective method of treatment for dementia and get a longer and healthy life.

However, I am afraid about some problems.

Is it always better to live longer? Today, there is the problem that elder people care elder people in Japan. This problem occurred by development of medical sciense.

There are people who think that gene therapy is against the laws of nature. May we manipulate the gene that makes the basis of life? In addition, there is the religious problem that gene therapy invade the field of God.

I think that if the technology of getting long life by genetic operation have been established, the gap will occur. Only rich people will get a longer life.

Those problems could not be solved easily. Certainly, most of people wish to have a  long and healthy life.However, at the same time, they feel concern about those problems. Development of sciense is admirable but we should think carefully about the way to use it.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15278823

1 件のコメント:

  1. Well, I plan to live to be 100 years old. And I also plan to be healthy physically and mentally until the day I die. My strategy for accomplishing this goal is to exercise my mind and body every day, and almost all the food I eat is organic and healthy. Since this is my approach to my life, I don't want to learn that I don't have the right kind of DNA that will allow me to get so old.

    返信削除